Skip to main content

Local views shape plans for Springwell while research shows support for solar

As the team behind Springwell Solar Farm considers feedback from its latest consultation, new research has shown that a majority of people who live in Lincolnshire support new solar farms and the benefits they can bring to communities.

Springwell Solar Farm is a proposed new solar farm with battery storage in North Kesteven that would provide enough clean, secure energy to power over 180,000 homes*. A second stage of consultation on updated proposals took place between 11 January and 22 February 2024.

Research conducted in the period running up to the start of the consultation shows that people living in Lincolnshire support solar farms. The majority of those (77%) who responded to a survey by Survation, conducted on behalf of EDF Renewables, said that they see climate change having an effect on their communities, with 82% of respondents saying that they support the development of solar farms.

During the latest six-week consultation on proposals for Springwell Solar Farm, 11,835 letters were sent to local homes and businesses, while over 450 people attended events to learn about the proposals.

Matthew Boulton, Director of Solar, Storage and Private Wire at EDF Renewables UK said: “We know that people in Lincolnshire are concerned about climate change, and projects like Springwell are an important part of the solution. If consented, Springwell would make a significant contribution to our country’s future energy supply and security.

“We would like to thank everyone who took the time to share their views with us earlier this year. We are pleased to have received over 200 responses from the community, which will help us refine our proposals before submitting a planning application.

Feedback from earlier public consultation, along with outputs of early environmental assessments and technical work, has already helped shape proposals for Springwell Solar Farm. Less than half of the site (42%) is currently proposed to be used for generating and storing energy, with the rest of the site (58%) proposed for mitigation, ecological enhancement or retained for agricultural use – including all fields of the highest agricultural quality (solely Grades 1 and 2).

A DCO application for Springwell Solar Farm is expected to be submitted later this year.


*    Based upon the average domestic electricity consumption per home (temperature corrected) per the Energy Consumption in the UK (published September 2021, Table C9 of ECUK: Consumption data tables)

Leave a Reply